Thursday, May 1, 2014

65 Year old Lady Summits Mt Haggin in a day

What a day. I was supposed to ride motorbikes with a fellow from a chat forum, I did not hear from him and I ended up working with my business and bogged down with paperwork.

Secretly all day I craved my Yellow Mountain Bike, I had ridden it in a fun ride last night and I could not get it out of my mind.

I finished my paperwork as 6:15 rolled around, I knew Dave would want to ride and would be home around 6:30, I called and told his son to tell his dad to be ready, 7:00 we rolled down the street.

We decided to climb up to Hurst lake at the base of Mt Haggin. We knew we would not make it all the way but it is 3.5 miles from our doorsteps of solid climbing. The climb was as always a difficult one this time of the year with the ground being spongy and the fingers of hell called new grass gripping at your tires making every peddle difficult.

We would pause and watch the sunset, then continue up the road, soon at the gate, our destination there was a dog whining looking back up the trail.

Not sure if this was a lassie moment I took off up the hill following the dog to see if its master was ok. I would see a black shadow and yell "are you ok"

"I am fine" came a faint obviously tired voice. I decided to climb up and see for sure as the figure was moving downhill so incredibly slow.

I was shocked as I got closer, there came a wrinkled silver haired lady, slowly trodding down the trail "What a long day" she would say.

I was honestly taken a bit aback and asked her how far she went "oh all the way to the top, and last week I did this mountain and this mountain the week before"

What could I say? She was 20 years my senior and climbing stuff I had myself never accomplished.

I would ride out on a thrilling downhill pondering life as always, what lays up the road? Not to long ago I was thinking I did not know how much left I would have, but after seeing her, who knows?

We talked to a fellow slightly older than us at the bottom in town, he commented how amazing that was and she was lucky to be mobile "Well": I replied "Better to die up there than dreaming about being up there"

No comments:

Post a Comment