Saturday, September 29, 2018

Montana I-186, Scary Mining Bill or much needed Legislation?

I am frankly surprised at how many people are up in arms over this bill.
The usual big corporate Rhetoric is all over saying how it will "Cost Miners Jobs" That does exactly what it is supposed to do, tug at the hearts of Montanans as we all know Miners.
We are all also touched by mining, I am typing on a device made possible only by Mining so clearly I cannot be anti mining, but I am tired of big corporations leaving a lasting negative impact on the Environment.
I think those of us Growing up in Mining towns should want three things.
One a strong Economy.
Two Miners well Paid in a safe working evirionment
Three a Healthy Environment.

Both of my Grandfathers were Smeltermen and My Great Grandfather a Miner at one point as well as his Father, who would be killed in a Mine Blast in North Western Montana. Should I therefore conclude that since his death and thousands of others, mines were required to provide safety measures that undoubtedly cost the mine money, and maybe some employment, those regulations are bad? Not for a instance.

Furthermore I do not miss in the least bit the Mine Tailings I grew up Playing in left by the Anaconda Smelter, they are still there, but they are now capped with Top Soil. It has cost Tax Payers the equivalency of what the smelting produced to clean up the mess, which can never actually be completely cleaned up, how on earth is that cost effective at all?
It was so terrible in my childhood trees would not grow on the neighboring hillsides, the Upper Clark Fork river was completely devoid of all life, nothing would grow there do to the pollution.
I think many people have forgotten how far Environmental Legislation has gotten us.
It is also imperative that we look and think about where Rhetoric comes from.
The head of the Montana Mining Association Phillip Baker stiffed Tax Payers for some 27 million in clean up so far, and millions more to come do to Pegasus Gold and their antics. The Mine has to be cleaned up at YOUR expense for in a sense, ever.
There are wells which will be monitoring the Cyanide Leaching for Decades to come. Think about that for a minute.
Maybe take another.
Now look at this bill and tell me how in the fuck it is not needed?
I would also encourage you to show me how it costs miners jobs?
I have mined and I fully support miners, but I do not for a minute support destroying the planet left to my children and theirs.



So here is the Bill in it's entirety.

who
https://sosmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/I-186.pdf

I-186 requires the Department of Environmental Quality to deny a permit for any new
hardrock mines in Montana unless the reclamation plan provides clear and convincing
evidence that the mine will not require perpetual treatment of water polluted by acid
mine drainage or other contaminants. The terms “perpetual treatment,” “perpetual
leaching,” and “contaminants” within I-186 are not fully defined and would require
further definition from the Montana Legislature or through Department of
Environmental Quality rulemaking.
I-186 will cost $115,360 in its first fiscal year, increasing to $118,767 by fiscal year 2021.
These costs are associated with more staff for environmental review for mining permit
applications and anticipated litigation.

Sorry, if a Mine wants to use dangerous Chemicals, then they aught to have the means to clean up. They have an obligation to provide a safe living environment today tomorrow and forever.


https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/opinions/guest_columnists/taxpayers-resources-need-protection-from-bad-actor/article_c24df386-7c94-5e5e-89f9-1591c8c8222b.html

https://earthjustice.org/news/press/2018/montana-deq-announces-that-hecla-mining-company-national-mining-association-chairman-phillips-baker-in-violation

No comments:

Post a Comment